Double Degree Program
Niigata University offers an international education program with institutions that the Graduate School of Science and Technology has concluded the double degree program agreement. Participating students of the program are matriculated at both Niigata University and the partner institution and able to obtain the double-degree, receiving a separate degree from each university or institution.
Double Degree Program at the Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University
- 1. Status of Participating Students
- Each exchange student is entitled to be recognized as a regular student at both Niigata University and the partner institution.
- 2. Duration of Study at Host Institution
- In general, each exchange period shall be one academic year. (Doctoral students, however, may be approved for an extension of study up to one additional year).
- 3. Academic Advising
- Both home and host institutions shall assign academic advisors to each exchange student, and they are expected to work collaboratively to provide academic guidance and advising to the student.
- 4. Requirements for Awarding Degree
- Participating students in the double degree program are expected to follow the rules and regulations of both institutions.
- 5. Dissertation
- Participating students are expected to submit different dissertations (in English) to Niigata University and the partner institution and are given an independent degree from each institution.
- 6. Acceptance of Transfer Credits
- Credits earned from other graduate schools may be accepted as equivalent to the courses offered by Niigata University upon evaluation. (There are limitations to the number of transferrable credits).
- 7. Admission Fee and Tuition
- Students shall pay tuition, admission, and registration fees to the home institution for the duration of study and shall be exempted from them at the host institution.
- 8. Admission and Completion Periods
- Participating students are expected to follow the rules and regulations of both institutions. Niigata University offers two admission (April and October) and two completion (March and September) periods each year.
- 9. Entrance Examination
- Graduate students who wish to participate in the double degree program at Niigata University or the partner institutions shall apply for the selection procedure at the host institution. The selection period shall be determined by the institution.
Plan of Study for the Year at Niigata University
*In premise, participating DDP students are expected to earn the required number of credits within one academic year.
*Requirements for Completion of Degree differ from each major program and area of specialization.
|Major Program||PhD-Course Project Research I (Required, 4 credits)|
|Course Work (Required, 2 credits)|
|Presentation of Research Progress Report (Required, 1 credit)|
|Courses offered within the area of Specialization (Elective, 4 credits)||Choose two courses|
|Transfer Credits (8 credits)||Accepted upon evaluation|
|Subtotal||At least 19 credits|
|DDP Courses||Research Camp||Choose two from the list|
|Subtotal||At least 4 credits|
|Total||Minimum of 23 credits required|
※For more details, please check below